What is BOPIS?
Restaurant delivery is a wonderful convenience when the food arrives on time, at the correct temperature, and as ordered. However, with increased use of third-party delivery services, these basic must-haves are increasingly sub-par, leaving customers disappointed and irritated.
One solution is for restaurants to encourage diners to buy food online using a mobile app or website and then pick it up in person. The process is known as ‘buy online, pickup in-store’ or BOPIS. According to a 2019 Business Insider article, 68% of U.S. consumers have made multiple click-and-collect purchases.
BOPIS Benefits For Restaurants
- Increased Sales: Since the restaurant is capturing customer data through a digital food ordering platform, upsell and promotional offers can be tailored to customers picking up their orders.
- Stronger Brand Loyalty: When customers pick up meals, food quality increases, delivery fees disappear, and satisfaction grows.
- Decreased Customer Waits: With predictive technology built into the digital food ordering platform, customers will encounter a frictionless ordering and pickup experience.
BOPIS Benefits For Diners
- Peak Freshness: When a food order is placed, customers know exactly when their food will be ready. Knowing precisely when a customer will arrive, the restaurant can fire an order to ensure it’s absolutely fresh.
- Easy Digital Transactions: Orders are paid for using the app, eliminating the hassle of onsite payment while still logging loyalty rewards.
- Time Saver: BOPIS also meets the needs of customers who don’t have time to enter the restaurant or leave their cars. Predictive arrival technology lets the kitchen know when customers are near the restaurant, and where they’ve parked when they arrive.
- Money Saver: Delivery fees are avoided when customers pick up their own orders.
- Order Accuracy: It’s easy to avoid a wrong order when picking up in person.